Software compatibility between different architectures?

Hi,

how compatible are drivers on ports for different CPU architectures,
e.g. I have a USB HSDPA modem which works great on Wheezy port for x86
architecture, but can I expect it to work on Wheezy port for ARM? Can
one expect the same options(modprobe parameters) for drivers on all
platforms? What about firmware(for example firmware files for warious
Wi-Fi adapters)? I guess all more or less not so hardware-related
software(for example iptables/netfilter) works exactly the same
between different ports?

regards,
Martin