Re: System broken after full-upgrade: please help!

On Fri 08 Aug 2014 at 13:20:40 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Boot into the OS on sda6. Read the documentation for the version of grub
> > on it, Try 'grub-install /dev/sda'.
>
> Thanks.  The last command (grub-install /dev/sda) succeded in putting sda6 in
> master boot record, but, as the ones above with Grub prompt, has the effect of
> reproducing the problem for which the present thread was started: sda7 `breaks
> down' and needs beeing recovered.
>
> I also ran `full-upgrade' again in the hope a possible bug were removed, but
> nothing.  It is true that the actual `problem', about who between sda6 or sda7
> should be the root partition, is not so big after all; but I'd be curious to
> see what the matter is.

You didn't say explicitly that sda6 has GRUB Legacy but, if it has, you
are doing yourself no favours by using it to boot multiple OSs. I'm not
saying it won't work but upstream has abandoned development and Debian
barely supports it. If 'grub-install' and 'update-grub' don't result in
the OS on sda7 booting my preference would be to use the grub on sda7.