Re: End of hypocrisy ?

Ahoj,

Dňa Tue, 5 Aug 2014 09:17:15 -0700 Don Armstrong <don@debian.org>
napísal:

> On Tue, 05 Aug 2014, Slavko wrote:
> > To be precise, i often read about these things: monolitic, binary
> > files and boot speed. I don't like first two and i am not interested
> > in latest.
>
> These are just accessible reasons. The main reason that I personally
> voted for systemd over sysv is because systemd (and upstart) provide
> correct boot sequencing in complex boot situations.

IMO, users deserve reasons, which has value for them itself,
not for others.

> For example, if you're using iscsi, and need to start a daemon after
> the network is up, iscsi is connected, lvm has resynced, and the
> appropriate filesystems are mounted, this is trivial using systemd or
> upstart, but very difficult using sysv.[1]

I never meet these problems, then i cannot to appreciate it. How many
people are as i in this?

> The other reason is we also get rid of thousands of lines of
> difficult-to-maintain boilerplate in init scripts.

Yes, i meet some of these scripts, then i can to appreciate it.

> While sysv may be easier to debug in simple systems, there's a reason
> why none of the CTTE members (myself included) voted for it.

I don't see the problem in the change of the default init system. Your
response forced me to small stop and think about defaults in Debian. I
do not often use Debian's defaults. I remember as i need to specify boot
options to install KDE and not Gnome, but it was no problem. Yes, there
was time, when i install Debian without DE, to install the one by my
choice latter. I don't use the the d-i tasks for DNS, or web server,
because i don't use the defaults (only SSH server from there). My first
thing after install Debian is to remove the default installed NFS
server - no problem too. etc, etc. All these things are clean,
straightforward and are possible after system install. Simple, i see no
problem, that my defaults are different, than Debian defaults and i
consider this as one of flags of the freedom.

When i read first time about change default of the init, i believe (or
hope?), that there will be choice. And don't matter if this choice will
be at install time, or after install... I wrote to this list too, that
this is *only* default. But now i read more and more about problems,
dependencies from user space and this sounds bad for me. And i start to
afraid.

I am not able to suspend this machine when boot via systemd. OK It
seems, that it is not a systemd problem - but the difference is simple:
without systemd it works, with it doesn't, then systemd is a problem
for me too.

> 1: Not impossible, but you basically end up replicating a dependency
> boot system in shell, and necessarily introduce brittleness and
> delays.

Delays, delays... And we are back at the boot time, where we start.

regards

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk