Re: End of hypocrisy ?

Ahoj,

Dňa Tue, 05 Aug 2014 00:37:06 +1000 Andrew McGlashan
<andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> napísal:

> On 4/08/2014 11:32 PM, Tom H wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 6:37 AM, Andrew McGlashan
> > <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
> >
> >> My own view is "why systemd" .... fix sysinit instead, where it is
> >> broken or rather the packages [whatever they are] that don't work
> >> properly.
> >
> > Who should fix sysvinit? The upstream sysvinit developers are DDs
> > and they didn't do it (I'm not blaming them, I'm just noting that
> > fact).
>
> Yes, that's what I meant, sysvinit is not broken.
>
> >> systemd gives faster boot times, so what!  I prefer to boot less
> >> often and run with what works until I /have/ to do a reboot, so it
> >> wouldn't matter if it took 10 times as long to boot.  Improving
> >> boot times is just like overclocking for games, it is largely
> >> irrelevant and something to boast about ... ie, no real benefit.
> >
> > Boot speed might not be an important feature for you but for
> > organizations with 1000s of servers, the faster the better.
>
> Sure it counts, but if you have 1000s of servers, you likely have many
> other considerations and you'll be pooling [at least] those servers
> in a cluster type arrangement ... much lessening the need for any
> machine to startup so quickly.

And this is IMO main point of the problem. I have no 1000 servers and i
will not boot my machine any 2 min, to take advantage from faster
boot ;-)

And it is the point where to business take precedence before freedom of
choice (the boot system in this case). The systemd is forced (as
dependency) by the policykit and perhaps some X software, then it
switch from default to only one!

More people write there, that the systemd follow the base Unix
principle of the modularity, but if there is not possible to use parts
of systemd separately, then it is not modular, but only split - and
this is what happen in Debian (testing) now - more and more things are
depended on the logind. It can be OK, but you cannot install (and use)
logind without systemd (from apt). For me it sounds, as when you can use
grep only to files found by find. Or not the systemd is broken, but its
packages are?

What is the only one thing, which does systemd and which does it
perfectly? How many packages (userspace aps) depends (directly or
indirectly) on the SysV? Things takes bad direction.

regards

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk