date/time of photos [was: Re: [SOLVED, but...] mounting a Nikon camera]

It was quite awhile ago, but I used gthumb to offload photos from my Nikon. I didn't like it though because the date&time of the photos were all changed to the date&time of the download. I much prefer to keep the date&time when the photo was taken. What experience do others have?