[SOLVED, but...] mounting a Nikon camera

Thanks for the replies.

I can now peruse my photos with digikam, but I am not sure what
it cost me; I suspect I'll find out when next I reboot.

Installing digikam resulted, apparently, in pulling in half of
kde--cruft to me--*and* a new initrd!

I think I've had it with apt; dpkg from now on, regardless of the
hours it costs me.... ;-]

Lisi, why is it cowardly to mount the SD card by itself? I would
certainly have done that, but I don't have the hardware; maybe
I'm about to discover I should have acquired it.

--
 Dave Williams    To protect you from the terrorists, we need details about
 dnw@eskimo.com   your sex life, and we have the technology to get them.