Fwd: Re: sound problem debian wheezy

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: sound problem debian wheezy
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 21:52:46 -0400
From: Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com>
To: tom arnall <kloro2006@gmail.com>

On 07/30/2014 12:37 AM, tom arnall wrote:
Ric,

thanks for getting back to me? rest of message inline to yours.

Tom

On 7/29/14, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
On 07/29/2014 01:39 AM, tom arnall wrote:
Two weeks ago I installed Debian wheezy and was using pulse audio with
good results. Then suddenly the external mic wasn't working. I removed
pulse from the system and the process seemed to have made alsa the
sound system. I also added some alsa stuff. The commands for this:

	sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio pulseaudio-utils
gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio libpulse-browse0 paman pavumeter pavucontrol

	sudo rm /etc/asound.conf

	rm ~/.pulse-cookie

	rm -fR ~/.pulse

	sudo apt-get install alsa-base alsa-tools\
	   alsa-tools-gui alsa-utils alsa-oss\
	   alsamixergui libalsaplayer0

Still no external mic. By 'external mic' I mean the one I plug into
the round port, not a USB mic.

The machine is a lenovo t400

I checked that the hardware is ok by using it under windows dual-boot.

I am sure that people need more info than this, but I have no idea
what that info might be.

Several pulse packages were long ago deprecated.

how cd this lead to pulse working for at least two weeks and then
suddenly failing?

I just use the stock
pulse install and pavucontrol.

you seem to think that reinstalling pulse wd be a good idea. cd you
tell me more of yr thinking on this?  i see a lot of stuff on the
internet about debian+pulse problems and so am hesitant.

]Did you configure your sound card to have
X number of speakers AND mike (mono or stereo) input?

how do i configure the sound card?

Did you run
alsamixer to be sure it wasn't muted??

yes

Pulse rides on top of alsa, so if
alsa has the mike muted, pulse can not overrule alsa. Package upgrades
can break things once in awhile.

what kind of upgrade cd have caused pulse microphone to suddenly stop working?

thanks again for helping me.

No problem! I've used pulse for sometime. and with some strange audio
adapters.

First, again pulse is on top of alsa, so if alsa fails, pulse fails harder.

Second, plain-jane audio uses that work with alsa, works just peachy
with alsa, unless you start using settings like .asound which call
directly to alsa, then pulse is shoved under the bus. No setting files
at all when using pulse.

Third, pavucontrol will show you your audio sources live. If there is
sound input then the input tab page will show the audio level with a
volume level meter. IF you see no movement, then sound is not appearing
to pulse for you to use. You can use that to set the volume level too.

IF your application uses OSS then there is a pulse module to convert OSS
to alsa/pulse. OR, launch your program in a terminal window with padsp
<program name> and it will FORCE sound to be directed to alsa/pulse.
Kino will only run now with the command: padsp kino

Same with output sound, you should have configured your outputs with the
configuration tab, and then select the output device on the playback
page. I have USB stereo output headphone with mono mike input. And, I
have a USB 7.1 audio device which is connected to a 7.1 speaker setup.
So, when I playback through a program, like VLC, I can change between
the two ON THE FLY! with pavucontrol playback tab. I just click and change.

I have my onboard sound device turned OFF in the bios, as I don't use
it. If you use your's make sure it is ON in the bios. This should be
enough to have pulse and alsa setup and ready to go. Again, if you see
no sound level, during playback or recording, something is muted in alsa
or the stream is in another format. If it's Skype then google up on what
module needs to be added to pulse. Enjoy! Ric