Re: Finding a replacement for my ISP's smtp server

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 04:08:44PM -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> On 7/28/2014 3:51 PM, Brian wrote:
> > You never really answered my questiom. If you place something in a
> > public place, a mailserver, for example, why should it be a criminal
> > offence to look at it. If you did not want it to be seen you have the
> > solution at hand.
> >

> If your car is in a public parking lot, does that mean I can get in and
> drive it off?

As that sentence stands, sure you can, provided you can drive, you can
get the car going, etc. etc. The crucial question is *may* I. I may have
even given you permission to. :)

Everyone, provided they have the technical ability etc. *can* do a port
scan using nmap, check server response using telnet etc.

I have heard/read somewhere that using nmap is considered to be
malicious but as far as being criminal, as meaning against the law, I
don't think that is true.

Whether you should or not is the crucial question, it could be your job,
penetration tester for one example and therefore if you don't do it do
don't get paid. :)

oppressing." --- Malcolm X