Re: Finding a replacement for my ISP's smtp server

On Mon 28 Jul 2014 at 17:37:19 +0200, Slavko wrote:

> Dňa Mon, 28 Jul 2014 14:56:40 +0100 Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk>
> napísal:
>
> > How does the server tell the difference between talking to another
> > server (which is acting as client) and what you call a "client"?

[RFC abstracts snipped. Thanks for them. I'll get round to reading in
detail later]

> As client i consider the MUA, but e.g. exim has a "client mode" too (i
> don't know about other MTAs). I am sorry for simplification.

No need to be sorry. The simplification was fine. It's just that here
mutt and other MUAs connect to exim for direct mail delivery. I wanted
to clarify that servers can also be clients.

> I want to point, that for end users is intended the 587 port, as
> mentioned someone other too, and IMO it is not a good opinion to
> suggest to try (check) the port 25, if the 587 is provided. Another
> goal is, that there are some ISP, which don't blocks/redirects/proxies
> the 587 port yet ;-)

  brian@desktop:~$ nmap -Pn mail.o2.co.uk

  Starting Nmap 6.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2014-07-28 18:30 BST
  Nmap scan report for mail.o2.co.uk (82.132.141.69)
  Host is up (0.047s latency).
  Not shown: 998 filtered ports
  PORT    STATE SERVICE
  25/tcp  open  smtp
  110/tcp open  pop3

  Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 7.61 seconds

Whether they direct all outgoing port 25 trafic to their own server I do
not know.

Your observation that ISPs could also interfere with port 587 doesn't
cheer me up. :)