Re: /var partition seems locked or read only

Le 27.07.2014 01:42, PaulNM a écrit :
On 07/25/2014 10:54 AM, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

First time I have exhausted inodes, but I never used apt-cacher-ng
previously, and it's quite obvious that a proxy+cache is very greedy in
terms of inodes.

Not really. That's like saying the parking lot is greedy in terms of
parking spots, after you just drove a bunch of cars into it. :)

Inodes are files/folders, files/folders are inodes. (1-to-1) Anything
that has a bunch of files/folders will use a bunch of inodes. Same
number in fact.

The nice thing here is that I have learned a lot of this error, and
maybe someday I'll be able to help someone else in a similar situation,
or be able to understand better partition systems.

Learning is good, keep it up. :) Others have already told you the long term fix (copy data, reformat, copy back), but there's another option.

Inodes are a per-filesystem instance thing. If you can free at least 1
inode on /var, then you can:
create a file
mkfs.ext4 (or whatever) it,
temporarily loopback mount it somewhere,
move a large folder's (inode-wise) contents into it,
umount it, add it to fstab, then remount.

A bit complicated, but it's something you can do on the live system
without external drives. Technically the loopback mounted file doesn't need to be inside /var, but you have plenty of storage space there, so
why not use it.

I have used this solution, and it works almost fine. Almost, because I do not master enough the secret arts of linux sysadministration :) I guess that the problem is that the fstab file is used to mount everything at once, and since the file I have created is located in /var, it can't be found.

I am trying to find a solution for that, hopefully I'll find it quickly :)

One of my defects is that I always try to tweak things... (with time
I've learned to not do that when the target is very important) but at
least it allows me to learn. By failures :)

Yeah.  Choosing the bigfile option when formating doesn't really save
drive space. It does simplify the filesystem records a little as ther
are fewer records to keep track of.

In fact it can possibly end up using more space if you have a bunch of
smaller files.

If you do reformat /var, I wouldn't use xfs. As others have mentioned,
it has a few oddities that can cause issues if you're not fully
prepared. By all means create a sparsefile or regular loopback mount to play around with it, but for important stuff on your system, stick with
what you know.

- PaulNM