Re: Latest Jessie doesn't respond to /etc/default/tmpfs "RAMTMP=yes"

On Jul 28, 2014, at 4:59 PM, Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2014, at 3:16 PM, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> In this particular case that would mean creating a directory
>> /etc/systemd/system/tmp.mount.d/, then placing a .conf file in there
>> setting your custom options.
>>

>> That all said, using /etc/fstab is perfectly fine if you need to tweak
>> the /tmp tmpfs settings.
>>
>> An entry from /etc/fstab will override any existing tmp.mount unit.
>
> so I would:
>
> 	mkdir /etc/systemd/system/tmp.mount.d/
> 	echo “[Mount]” > /etc/systemd/system/tmp.mount.d/tmp.mount.conf
> 	echo “Options=mode=1777,strictatime,size=20%” > /etc/systemd/system/tmp.mount.d/tmp.mount.conf
>
> then reboot.
>
> Right?  I tried this and it seems to work…
>
> Rick

On the other hand, I can accomplish the same thing in a more obvious way with a line in /etc/fstab listing the same options.

The thing I miss most from the old /etc/default/tmpfs is the possibility to set the size of /tmp on tmpfs based on a percentage of the total available virtual memory (real RAM plus swap).  Of course, it’s a one-time calculation that I can do myself when I’m customizing after installing, but it is nice to have the option of having the calculation made for me.  Also, if I’m installing a lot of similar systems (with e.g. different amounts of RAM) it’s nice to have something that can be pre-seeded and doesn’t need to be tailored differently for each system.

Just thinking…

Enjoy!

Rick