Re: Latest Jessie doesn't respond to /etc/default/tmpfs "RAMTMP=yes"

On Jul 23, 2014, at 2:50 AM, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi Rick
>
> Am 23.07.2014 um 09:12 schrieb Rick Thomas:
>>
>> I’m trying to get /tmp on tmpfs, so I put “RAMTMP=yes” in /etc/default/tmpfs.
>>
>> But I don’t get /tmp/mounted on tmpfs.
>
> /etc/default/tmpfs is a sysvinit specific config file. If you are
> running systemd, enabling /tmp on tmpfs is as simple as
> “systemctl enable tmp.mount"

OK, this is my Jessie test VM, so I read-up on systemd and systemctl.  Then I did
   systemctl enable tmp.mount
and rebooted.  As advertised, I had /tmp mounted on tmpfs.  Cool!

      But…

I still can’t figure out how to exercise control over the size and other mount options, the way I used to be able to do under sysvinit using options in /etc/default/tmpfs .

Yes, I know I can do all that in /etc/fstab.  But I’m testing here, so I’m trying to verify apparent functionality regressions, not look for workarounds.

I’m happy to RTFM, but which FM tells me how to do this?

Thanks!

Rick

PS:  Yes, definitely, I’m planning to submit a documentation bugreport against initscripts as Michael suggested… but I want to explore the full ramifications of the change before I do — so I don’t ask for the impossible, or ask for something that’s already there that I just didn’t see.

PPS:  Don’t take this comment the wrong way — I’m all for change, especially if, as with systemd, it improves flexibility, manageability, auditability, speed and security for my systems — but I’m thinking that there will be a lot of folks who stick with Wheezy for a long time because the systemd change is too big for them to swallow.  Wheezy may wind up being the “XP” of Debian releases.