Re: Finding a replacement for my ISP's smtp server

On Mon 28 Jul 2014 at 22:00:00 +0200, Slavko wrote:

> Dňa Mon, 28 Jul 2014 20:51:31 +0100 Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk>
> napísal:
>
> > You never really answered my questiom. If you place something in a
> > public place, a mailserver, for example, why should it be a criminal
> > offence to look at it. If you did not want it to be seen you have the
> > solution at hand.
>
> Yes, i provided answer to you. I try it again: If is something in
> public place, it doesn't mean, that anybody can do anything with it.

You are stating the obvious.

I'll try a more technical answer. Remember, you were of the opinion that
using nmap could be a criminal offence in some countries (which you
declined to name).

I will use my preferred email client (telnet) for this test.

  brian@desktop:~$ telnet mail.o2.co.uk 25
  Trying 82.132.141.69...
  Connected to mail.o2.co.uk.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  220 mail.o2.co.uk ESMTP Service ready

  brian@desktop:~$ telnet mail.o2.co.uk 587
  Trying 82.132.141.69...
  telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out

I also used another 40.000 ports.

Happpier with this?

Communication is one of the most basic human needs. Have I transgressed
its boundaries?