Re: fsck progress not shown on boot with systemd as pid 1

Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Du, 27 iul 14, 12:34:17, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>> On 7/26/14, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> > With sysvinit the default at booting is for the screen messages to fly
>> > past at a bewildering speed and then for the screen to be cleared by
>> > agetty.
>>
>> I've thought for years, and noted in my "fix unix" notes that
>> boot messages ought be written starting at the top of the
>> screen, then when they get to the bottom, rather than
>> continuing at the bottom and scrolling, to start at the top
>> again, *without* clearing the screen.
>
> You are aware of course that:
> - scrolling can stopped
> - the clearing of the screen can be prevented
> - it's also possible to scroll *back* (surprise, surprise)
> - the scroll-back buffer can be increased

This is the problem with what the current wheezy default seems to be of
the screen clearing when the login prompt is reached. Before agetty
started doing that, I could usefully scroll back, now it seems to wipe
out anything much after checking the root file system. Presumably with
jessie I'll get to start playing with TTYVTDisallocate=no or somesuch.

-- Mark