Re: fsck progress not shown on boot with systemd as pid 1

On 7/26/14, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri 25 Jul 2014 at 16:02:18 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>> On 07/25/2014 03:33 PM, Michael Biebl wrote:
>> > Hi,

>> > If the system is booted with the "quiet" kernel command line option,
>> > no messages are shown by systemd.
>> > You can either remove "quiet" from the kernel command line or use
>> > the
>> >  systemd.show_status=true|false
>> >  systemd.sysv_console=true|false
>> >  systemd.log_level=
>> >  systemd.log_target=
>> > boot options to control that in a fine grained manner.

> With sysvinit the default at booting is for the screen messages to fly
> past at a bewildering speed and then for the screen to be cleared by
> agetty.

I've thought for years, and noted in my "fix unix" notes that
boot messages ought be written starting at the top of the
screen, then when they get to the bottom, rather than
continuing at the bottom and scrolling, to start at the top
again, *without* clearing the screen.

In this way, older messages stay on the screen for the
longest time possible, which _might_ just be long enough
to read the important ones.

Timestamps would become more significant, and perhaps
clearing the line immediately _after_ the current message
line - dunno how complicated that would be though, and
we must keep in mind that the console boot messages
system must support serial console boot logging etc.

Also, a scrolling screen is "bloody impossible" to read the
messages on, which makes that situation all but useless
for perusing a normal boot - especially when combined with
clearing the console on a successful boot.

Some of us like to learn, we like to get a feel for what's
going on, but boot messages have never assisted that well,
at least for the last decade when the number of boot messages,
combined with the speed of scrolling, makes reading a rather
frustrating experience.

The second enhancement I would like to see, is the boot
console split into left and right sides, for large monitors.
Combine this with the above scheme of overwriting the console
and not scrolling, then go from left-side, then to right-side,
and eventually back to left-side, and we should have *lots*
of time to read the messages.
This would be useful for large displays.

For larger displays, split the screen into 3 or 4 vertical consoles.

The first question is, are either of the above 2 suggestions even
possible?

Cheers
Zenaan