Re: New 64bit Installation. Root partition too small--what to do?

On 07/27/2014 04:48 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Du, 27 iul 14, 11:39:52, David Baron wrote:
>>
>> The procedure would be simple and bulletproof:
>> Copy / to new partition (what is the best way to do this, preserving symlinks
>> and other properties, not running afoul of /sys and such?).
>
> rsync -ax

That'll work fine on many systems. ("x" sticks to just the one
filesystem, and "a" for archive includes a bunch of other good options)

Even better is rsync -axHAXS

That preserves hardlinks, acls, extended attributes, and properly
handles sparse files.

I usually throw in a "v" for verbose, and "P" (Keeps partially copied
files and displays progress). "P" is especially useful if you have a
bunch of large files and expect to interrupt/resume the copy at times.

> To minimize downtime you can take advantage of rsync's incremental copy
> feature and do a first run with the system running and a second one with
> both partitions mounted from some other system (e.g. a live CD).

Also a great idea.  In that case I'd add "--delete" to the options, as
that will remove files in the destination that no longer exist in the
source.

rsync -avxPHAXS --delete source destination

> Kind regards,
> Andrei

- PaulNM