Re: fsck progress not shown on boot with systemd as pid 1

Hi,

Am 25.07.2014 20:27, schrieb Steven Post:

> I'm running Jessie (lagging about 5 days behind with the updates) and
> use systemd-sysv. Today I noticed that there is no visual feedback from
> fsck when checking an ext4 filesystem at boot time. Since it appears the
> system is stuck (apart from the HDD LED) I would consdider this a bug.
> Is this known? I wanted to check the list first, especially since the
> system not fully up-to-date, before filing a bug report. I quick search
> didn't bring up any results.

If the system is booted with the "quiet" kernel command line option, no
messages are shown by systemd.
You can either remove "quiet" from the kernel command line or use the
 systemd.show_status=true|false
 systemd.sysv_console=true|false
 systemd.log_level=
 systemd.log_target=
boot options to control that in a fine grained manner.

Understandably, users are worried when the screen just stays black for a
while without a feedback from the system.

So a future update of systemd will slightly change this behaviour:
whenever there is a service that failed or takes longer then a certain
threshold (iirc it's something like 5 secs), systemd will automatically
switch into verbose mode.

[1] has more details.

This requires a newer upstream release which is currently prepared for
experimental and will land in unstable hopefully soon.

I hope that addresses the concerns most users have with the current
behaviour.

Michael

[1]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-January/016546.html