Re: Iceape and Debian 7.x

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 02:11:30PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> CAVEAT LECTOR:
>   I'm a newbie who hasn't yet worried about details of internet
> issues.
>   I do not see me using other than Seamonkey (or 'clone' thereof)
>
> This morning when I saw your post, I did a preliminary cursory
> search for "seamonkey deb download" [WO quotes].
> I got many hits to Ubuntu related sites.

Debian and Ubuntu have many similarities and some differences.
Occasionally, Ubuntu will package things that Debian won't - subtle
differences in approach and focus.

> Which set of problems would be easier to deal with:
>   1. mixed Debian and Ubuntu repositories

Don't do this: ever, ever, ever. It's really painful to sort out
conflicting packages, library versions, dependencies and the
technical difficulties of supporting this mean that both
communities may have great difficulty in understanding what to do.

>   2. Seamonkey's generic Linux solution

This may be 32 bit only: I note that the amd64 bit version is an
"unofficial" contributed  build.

> I suspect the answer depends HEAVILY on which type of problem you
> are used to dealing with.
>
> P.S. #1 I've observed two things
>         a. A philosophical difference resulted in Debian not having
> permission to
>            use label "Seamonkey"

No: it's a trademark issue, just as it is with Firefox. At one point,
Mozilla gave permission for Debian to distribute modified and patched
versions and versions for other architectures as Firefox.

That permission was removed so Debian and others chose to
rename their codebase to avoid questions of who should shoulder support.

>         b. Underlying cause of Ice*** being removed - lack of
> volunteers

Also lack of users which meant that there weren't enough users to justify
scarce support resources in the face of security issues with the upstream
code.

>      #2 Asking related questions on mozilla.support.seamonkey
> [server news.mozilla.org]

You will get support for Mozilla's Seamonkey there.

>      #3 I suspect my eventual response will be use generic Linux
> version of Seamonkey

Iceape is integrated: it may also be useful to use the single purpose applications
if these help.

All the best,

AndyC