Re: Iceape and Debian 7.x

Bret Busby wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2014, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 11:58:44AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
Hello.

Is a .deb package of iceape or seamonky, available for Debian
7.x (amd64)?

I have not been able to find one.

Thank you in anticipation.

I'm fairly sure the whole package was removed as no longer
supported upstream.

Checking the package tracking ssytem, looks as if it was
removed in February 2014

https://packages.qa.debian.org/iceape.html

[Found by Googling "Debian iceape removal" ]

Al the best,

AndyC

Thank you for that.

It sounds like the Zeroth Law Of Thermodynamics, if I remember it
correctly.

Looks like I'll have to try to install Seamonkey using the
tarball method, which used to cause problems, when it was the
Netscape suite.

CAVEAT LECTOR:
I'm a newbie who hasn't yet worried about details of internet issues.
  I do not see me using other than Seamonkey (or 'clone' thereof)

This morning when I saw your post, I did a preliminary cursory search for "seamonkey deb download" [WO quotes].
I got many hits to Ubuntu related sites.

Which set of problems would be easier to deal with:
  1. mixed Debian and Ubuntu repositories
  2. Seamonkey's generic Linux solution

I suspect the answer depends HEAVILY on which type of problem you are used to dealing with.

P.S. #1 I've observed two things
a. A philosophical difference resulted in Debian not having permission to
           use label "Seamonkey"
b. Underlying cause of Ice*** being removed - lack of volunteers #2 Asking related questions on mozilla.support.seamonkey [server news.mozilla.org] #3 I suspect my eventual response will be use generic Linux version of Seamonkey