Re: Iceape and Debian 7.x

On 24/07/2014, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> Bret Busby wrote:

>>> I'm fairly sure the whole package was removed as no longer
>>> supported upstream.
>>>
>>> Checking the package tracking ssytem, looks as if it was
>>> removed in February 2014
>>>
>>> https://packages.qa.debian.org/iceape.html
>>>
>>> [Found by Googling "Debian iceape removal" ]
>>>
>>> Al the best,
>>>
>>> AndyC
>>>

>> Thank you for that.
>>
>> It sounds like the Zeroth Law Of Thermodynamics, if I remember it
>> correctly.
>>
>> Looks like I'll have to try to install Seamonkey using the
>> tarball method, which used to cause problems, when it was the
>> Netscape suite.
>>

> CAVEAT LECTOR:
>    I'm a newbie who hasn't yet worried about details of internet
> issues.
>    I do not see me using other than Seamonkey (or 'clone' thereof)
>
> This morning when I saw your post, I did a preliminary cursory
> search for "seamonkey deb download" [WO quotes].
> I got many hits to Ubuntu related sites.
>
> Which set of problems would be easier to deal with:
>    1. mixed Debian and Ubuntu repositories
>    2. Seamonkey's generic Linux solution
>
> I suspect the answer depends HEAVILY on which type of problem you
> are used to dealing with.
>
> P.S. #1 I've observed two things
>          a. A philosophical difference resulted in Debian not
> having permission to
>             use label "Seamonkey"
>          b. Underlying cause of Ice*** being removed - lack of
> volunteers
>       #2 Asking related questions on mozilla.support.seamonkey
> [server news.mozilla.org]
>       #3 I suspect my eventual response will be use generic Linux
> version of Seamonkey

The problems that I encountered, many years ago, now, were with the
using of the tarball system. With updates and the way that it was
handled, I ended up with something like 7-10 layers of directories and
subdirectories, as each update had to be put in a new subdirectory,
and it got very messy.

That was before I encountered the package management system, and,
simply installing and upgrading, using iceape (and, I also had
iceweasel, installed) .deb files and Debian package management (I
generally use(d) Synaptic), which made it all much simpler and
cleaner.

Whilst I have iceape installed on this Debian 6 workstation, I am
progressively trying to build the Debian 7.5 system, and I doubt that
the iceape version for Debian 6, would install and run on Debian 7.x.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."