Re: kFreeBSD: can't create swap partition

Le 23.07.2014 12:49, berenger.morel@neutralite.org a écrit :
Sorry for the unfinished message, my fingers were not precise enough
and/or too fast (tab and then space, instead of a and space... and the
message is sent :/)

I have decided to give a try to the amd64 kFreeBSD port, testing
version, hosted by virtualbox on a Debian amd64 testing.

I had some warnings that the installer asked me if I wanted to ignore
(and that I stupidly forgot to write somewhere, but I'll probably do
more than one installation so I'll find them anew later to report
them) and I did it.

Redoing it because I spent too many RAM in VMs, which made all VMs crash, so I have the warning message now:

=========
Could not get identity of device /dev/ada0 - Inappropriate ioctl for device

Warning
<Ignore>
<Cancel>
=========

(note that the translation is obviously really WiP :) but no problem, maybe I'll be able to help with that when it'll work for me)

I also tried to do a remote installation through ssh for better
interface (virtualbox is horrible on that) but the installer
never gave me an IP address (this is probably due to the NAT
interface of VBox I have used, so not a real problem I think. I should
try the same with regular Linux kernel to check this hypothesis).

Now, when coming to the partition creation, it seems that it is
unable to create the swap partition. I will probably try to continue
without one, but in the meantime, if someone have any clue about the
problem, it will interest me.

The log (TTY4) if filled with messages like this:

Processing event '!system=DEVFS subsystem=CDEV type=CREATE
cdev=diskid/DISK-VB291c06cf-2fef52d2s8'
devd: Pushing table
devd: Processing notify event
devd: Popping table

Other kinds of message uses DESTROY as type value, no real idea about what that means since at the point I am taking a look at those, there is no order to alter hard disk. there are also sometimes those same messages for ad0sX, I guess adXsY have some share meaning with sdXY on linux?

The error message in the interface is not very informative except that it says that swap partition was requested to be built on 7th partition of /dev/ada0.

I'll give a try without swap I guess.