Re: XP style themes for various DE's in Debian repositories?

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 01:17:13PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

> IIRC the IceWM DE/WM had a theme called "BluePlastic" which looked one
> heck of a lot like XP. I used IceWM for about 4 years and recommend it
> highly, although from what I understand it's not all that well
> maintained, and its config programs, if you can install them at all,
> are lacking. So to really get IceWM to do your bidding (and it can),
> you're going to need to edit a few twitchy XML like files.
>
> SteveT

I'm still using IceWM (Theme: win95 - with 12 virt. screens).

I like it, since it takes just 1 bottom(!) line (easier to watch through
my presbyopic glasses) leaving a maximum of free space on narrow screens.

Three tiny squares on this line show
a) cpu + hd activities
b) lan activity
c) wan activity

The rest of this line shows a digital clock (+ date under mouse cursor),
my 12 tiny virtual screen buttons + active progs. w/in a specific screen.

Progs. are started via a menu activated by <Ctrl-Esc> or the Start button
down left - practically the same as in Win95.

Screens are switched by <Ctrl-Alt-Arrow> or selected by mouse click.

The little maintenance of IceWM has one advantage though: I keep my 4 old
configuration files and copy them into the updated Debian directory
(/etc/X11/icewm).

IceWM, to my opinion, is the fastest unimpaired WM I know of.

Wilko