Re: init spawning multiple cf-execd processes at once

On 07/21/2014 02:39 PM, Jimmy Thrasibule wrote:
Hi,

I've added a new line to the /etc/inittab file to monitor the CFEngine
daemon and restart it in case this one dies.

     cfe:2345:respawn:/var/cfengine/bin/cf-execd

The cf-execd is re-spawned as expected, except the fact that multiple
processes are created at once.

I therefore have about 20+ cf-execd processes running where I only need 1.

Any idea what's causing this and how to solve it?

Regards,
Jimmy

If you start things from /etc/inittab, you must make sure they do not fork; I have no idea what cf-execd does, but its manpage mentions the --no-fork option :) (If a process in inittab is spawned more than N times, init will stop respawining it for a while)