Re: init spawning multiple cf-execd processes at once

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014, Jimmy Thrasibule wrote:
> I've added a new line to the /etc/inittab file to monitor the CFEngine
> daemon and restart it in case this one dies.
>
>     cfe:2345:respawn:/var/cfengine/bin/cf-execd
>
> The cf-execd is re-spawned as expected, except the fact that multiple
> processes are created at once.
>
> I therefore have about 20+ cf-execd processes running where I only need 1.
>
> Any idea what's causing this and how to solve it?

Are your processes forking away from init? If so, init will assume that
cf-execd has died, and respawn it.

Eventually, init will decide that your process has died too much, and
disable it until a timer runs out.

You probably want cf-execd -F or something similar, and you can verify
this by checking /var/log/syslog (or whatever is appropriate in your
case.)

Il semble que la perfection soit atteinte non quand il n'y a plus rien
a ajouter, mais quand il n'y a plus rien a retrancher.
(Perfection is apparently not achieved when nothing more can be added,
but when nothing else can be removed.)
 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupe'ry, Terres des Hommes