Re: Sid Systemd upgrade

On 2014-07-21, Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 02:26:44PM CEST, Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole@gmail.com> said:
>> On 2014-07-21, Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> wrote:
>> > On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 10:36:30PM CEST, Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> said:
>>
>> (...)

>> > I do not have the ressources to test : no time no machine which I can afford to break.
>>
>> In that case, Debian Sid is not a wise choice of operating system.
>
> The mess is now in testing, not anymore limited to sid. And testing
> should be rather stable the last step before stable distrib. So, small
> problems yes, but major one should have disapeared, and tools & docs
> to repair what rest should be easily reachable. ANd note that the init
> system is not just any package. Any bug on it is potentially grave,
> since it may break every other packages.

I assumed you were using sid based on the subject of this thread.
However, I refer you to /usr/share/doc/base-files/README: "You should
consider the testing and unstable distributions as two sides of the same
coin". Testing is sometimes broken too, and in fact the breakage can
take *longer* to fix than in the case of sid. If you are unwilling or
unable to test, you should avoid both.

--

Liam