Re: Synaptic messed up

On Mi, 25 iun 14, 20:18:41, Maureen L Thomas wrote:
> I had an orange triangle show up where the upstate square usually shows.  I
> clicked on it and got the following messages.
>
> Error message:
>
> Fetch failed: W:Failed to fetch ftp://debian.cites.illinois.edu/pub/debian/dists/wheezy/updates/main/source/Sources
> Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file. '
>
> , W:Failed to fetch ftp://debian.cites.illinois.edu/pub/debian/dists/wheezy/updates/contrib/source/Sources
> Unable to fetch file, server said 'Failed to open file. '

This points to a bad sources.list entry, as others suspected. Please do
*attach* your /etc/apt/sources.list and any other file under
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/

> I opened synaptic and received the following:
>

> E: The value 'stable-updates' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a
> release is not available in the sources

This means something is setting APT::Default-Release (which is not set
by default) to a value that doesn't even exist in your sources.list.

Please attach the file /etc/apt/apt.conf (if it exists) and *all* files
under /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/

Kind regards,
Andrei