about update notices

Running jessie in vbox guest on win7

I seem to recall quite some time back getting some kind of
notifications on my desktop when I had pkgs needing updates.

It might have a year or two ago when I was running KDE and may have
been related to the kde desktop.

I've been running LXDE for a good while now and wondered if there is
some mechanism I can activate that shows the status regarding updates.

I just did `aptitude update' update, followed by `aptitude
full-upgrade' and discovered some 278 pkgs needing updating.

Should I have seen something to that effect by now, or should I just
check manually every so often?