Re: How to get Skype sound working on Wheezy (7.5, 64bit)?

On 18/07/2014 17:08, Gary Dale wrote:
On 18/07/14 10:37 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
Hi all,

I installed Skype (4.3.0.37) just fine on Wheezy, but whether or not I
have Pulseaudio and pavucontrol installed, I get no sound and the person
at the other end can't hear my voice. I have to communicate via the IRC
like interface.

Probably related is the fact that pavucontrol's "Configuration" tab
says "no cards detected" or similar, and naturally therefore the input
tab lists no microphones, even though:

slitt@mydesq2:~$ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog
[ALC887-VD Analog] Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 2: ALC887-VD Analog
[ALC887-VD Analog] Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: U0x46d0x825 [USB Device 0x46d:0x825], device 0: USB Audio [USB
Audio] Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
slitt@mydesq2:~$ aplay -l
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog
[ALC887-VD Analog] Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital
[ALC887-VD Digital] Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
slitt@mydesq2:~$

There's all sorts of BS about this on the Internet, but a lot
contradictory and a lot out of my computer's context. Anyone have an
idea of the next step?

Thanks,

SteveT

Unfortunately Skype doesn't seem to be very good at making their product work with Linux. My experience with it has been very hit and miss. Sometimes it works while other times it doesn't. It seems to depend on the exact version of Skype you are using and the exact libraries you have installed on your system.

I've even had it work with one microphone at one time but not with another microphone. Later it will work with the other but not the first. I don't think there is any general advice to get it working.

Conversely maintained open-source packages like Jitsi and Ekiga always seem to work but may not connect with Skype.

My advice is to ditch Skype and get everyone you know to do the same. It's propriety and uses its own protocols so it doesn't play well with others that use open protocols.
It is now owned by M$ so it is unlikely to get any more user friendly in the near future