odd behavior of eth0 on a laptop

Debian sid
Xfce
Network-manager
===============

Hi list,

if I boot without a network cable or if I switch to wifi and
back to ethernet, I can't get eth0 working.

May be this is due to the ethernet card driver (alx), which
says it is: from the staging directory, state is unknown,
you have been warned!

I can't ping any other machine but I can arping all
(problem at the IP or TCP/IP stack level?)

A bit of clue?

--
When you have a scene, 31% of women threaten to return home.
But this is not a threat, this is a relief -- Jean-Yanne