Re: Using xfce4-power-manager with dwm

Made the tweaks that you suggested to .xsession--thanks.

I tried removing xfce4-power-manager from .xsession and running it from an xterm one the desktop was running but I get the same thing. So, I think there must be something that the running the full xfce4 session sets up in order to make this work correctly that I am missing from my simpler setup.

On Thursday, July 10, 2014 7:48 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

On Wed 09 Jul 2014 at 18:41:56 -0700, Daniel LaFlamme wrote:

> The laptop can suspend and resume without issue when I run a plain
> vanilla Xfce session (started with "Xfce session" from the lightdm
> login screen). However, I don't want to run an entire Xfce desktop
> environment; I want to use dwm but use xfce4-power-manager to manage
> suspend and resume. I am using Debian 7, stable.
>
> I have an .xsession that looks like:
>
> ---- .xsession ----
>
> #!/bin/bash
> xrdb -merge .Xresources
>
> if [ -x /usr/bin/xfce4-power-manager ];
> then
>    xfce4-power-manager &
> fi
>
> $HOME/share/bin/dwm
> -----
>
> I use lightdm to log in and select "default x session." The dwm starts
> up as expected. xfce4-power-manager also starts up (I can see
> notifications in the top right of the screen when I plug or unplug the
> laptop). If I close the lid, the laptop will not suspend (the fan is
> still running). When I open the lid, the screen gets brighter and
> blinks, but I dont see the desktop. I see the xfce4-power-manager
> notification pop up and then see nothing else. I can't get back to the
> desktop and need to log into a virtual console to restart the laptop.
>
> So, when xfce is running as a regular session, suspend and resume
> works. Something with how I am running it from .xsession with dwm is
> not working. Anyone have any ideas?

If that were my .xsession I wouldn't have 'xrdb -merge .Xresources'
because it is taken care of in /etc/X11/Xsession.d. I'd also be inclined
to have 'exec $HOME/share/bin/dwm'. But those are two minor points and
your .xsession looks ok to me.

What you could do is have only 'exec $HOME/share/bin/dwm' in it and run
xfce4-power-manager (there is also xfce4-power-manager-settings) to see
if there is any difference.

TBH, I cannot think what bearing the WM would have on the problem but
you could install fvwm, do without any .xsession and start the power
manager again from an xterm.