Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 16:22:55 +0200
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> Le 09.07.2014 15:40, Mark Carroll a écrit :
> > Martin Read <zen75502@zen.co.uk> writes:
> >
> >> On 09/07/14 05:07, Steve Litt wrote:
> >> [regarding double fork]
> >>
> >> Maybe. Do the programs you launch need to outlive your session? If
> >> so,
> >> your launcher program's design will run into problems in a systemd
> >> world.
> >>
> >> If not, you should be fine.
> >
> > Hang on, that sounds scary. I'll still be able to launch something
> > from the shell (maybe in an xterm) with a trailing & to put it in
> > the background, and then log out and it will keep on going, right?
> >
> > I may not have been paying enough attention ...
> >
> > -- Mark
>
> I thought that, currently, if you close the parent of "something" you
> have started with '&', "something" will die.
> Do you speak about nohup instead?

He's probably assuming you use nohup, but nohup is no panacea. Before I
made my fork program, I had big nohup.out files in many, many
directories. Heaven help me if any of them accidentally got uploaded to
the Internet -- they probably had all sorts of stuff I don't want other
people knowing.

Anyone who regularly uses nohup for this kind of thing should try the
following:

find / -type f -name nohup.out -exec ls -l {} +

Hows that for a mess? Which ones might have private information? Ugh!

By the way, I haven't seen the code, but I'm pretty sure graphical Vim
uses a doublefork when it runs, because it's one of the few programs
you can run from a terminal, it returns control to the terminal, and if
you close that terminal, gvim remains active. If systemd disables
doubleforks, *that* should be interesting.

SteveT