Re: Advice needed re TV internet media machine.

2014/07/06 1:51 "Lisi Reisz" <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>:

> On Saturday 05 July 2014 17:30:19 Joe wrote:
> > Joel mentioned the Raspberry Pi, which is a very low-power [ARM]
> > device, which does the UK catchup channels pretty well, apart from the
> > occasional glitch when a provider thoughtlessly changes his protocol.
>
> Not for me it doesn't.  And I was told that I was asking too much of it.  I
> simply couldn't get it to stream.  It would start, and then the stream would
> cut out.  That was my first door-stop!
>
> I'll look at a Humax.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Lisi

This is a really off-the-wall idea that (again) I haven't myself
tried, but I noticed that the page on Amazon for your box indicates
that Android is available for it. It's a bit of a fiddly approach, as
well.

There seem to be some streaming apps in Google's Playstore.

And there are some "apps" in the Playstore that allow you to install
debian infrastructure on top of Android, in several different ways.

(I have a locked-down tablet, and I am slowing exploring the Android
ecosystem. It's a serious disappointment. The manufacturers sure seem
to be insisting on repeating all the mistakes of desktop PCs on the
portable devices. But there may be some useful options to keep this
tablet from being just a toy.

It looks like I'll have to jailbreak the device at some point, and
leave the comfort of a distribution that is updated for me. (Assuming
I don't brick the think for real.) It looks like you wouldn't need to
jailbreak your box, but, again, I'm just guessing.

But you probably don't want to try that right now, I'm guessing?

I'll go back to lurking mode.

--
Joel Rees

Computer storage is just fancy paper,