Re: Advice needed re TV internet media machine.

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 05 July 2014 17:30:19 Joe wrote:
>> Joel mentioned the Raspberry Pi, which is a very low-power [ARM]
>> device, which does the UK catchup channels pretty well, apart from the
>> occasional glitch when a provider thoughtlessly changes his protocol.
>
> Not for me it doesn't.  And I was told that I was asking too much of it.  I
> simply couldn't get it to stream.  It would start, and then the stream would
> cut out.  That was my first door-stop!

Sorry to jump in late and in the middle of this conversation, but I'm
surprised by your experience with the Pi. I've run both Xbian and
Raspbmc (both Debian derivatives devoted to providing XBMC on the Pi)
with success, streaming BBC content with the iplayer plugin. Only very
occasionally have I experienced bad buffering and it's usually been
explained by a change by the BBC which the plugin developers are very
quick to pick up on. I do find it necessary to set the video speed
rather than leave it on "Auto", which apparently starts at high speed
but can't maintain it. And the video is sometimes pixellated. But
mostly I've found the Pi very able to handle the stream. And I've
recently become aware of the Hummingboard (a Google search will find
it), which looks as if it may be even more capable than the Pi and not
much more expensive.

Cheers
Patrick