Re: Windows and UTC system time (was: no subject)

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@decoulon.ch> wrote:
On Saturday 05 July 2014 21.38:46 Nelson Green wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> This morning I had the mis-fortune of creating a dual-boot system with
> Debian on
> a machine that already had windows installed on. I installed a second hard
> drive, installed Debian, and almost everything works. But I apparently told
> the
> installer that the system clock is set to UTC, when it is not (because
> windows
> has no real concept of time).

That's not true.

Actually it is. As a former windows system administrator, I can assure you that
micro$oft is a lot more interested in bringing the world to their way of
thinking than following well-designed, logical practices and standards. Just one
of the many reasons I abandoned that quagmire of a system.

For some reason M$ makes it very complicated, but I have a
dual boot system and I have Windows 7 running with system clock set at UTC.

Look on the web and you should find how. I find it's a lot better than to run
Linux in local time, as far as I am concerned.

Thanks Thierry, but I am afraid I have to leave the windows installation alone.
Fortunately I rarely have to mess with windows, and as a general rule I don't
lower my standards to theirs, but in this case I have no choice, at least until
we can eliminate windows from the equation completely.

Thierry