Re: Advice needed re TV internet media machine.

On Sat 05 Jul 2014 at 17:51:32 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Saturday 05 July 2014 17:30:19 Joe wrote:
> > Joel mentioned the Raspberry Pi, which is a very low-power [ARM]
> > device, which does the UK catchup channels pretty well, apart from the
> > occasional glitch when a provider thoughtlessly changes his protocol.
>
> Not for me it doesn't.  And I was told that I was asking too much of it.  I
> simply couldn't get it to stream.  It would start, and then the stream would
> cut out.  That was my first door-stop!
>
> I'll look at a Humax.
>
> Any other ideas?

You, of course, have the box in front of you and have experience of it
but its hardware appears sufficient for what you want to do. Streams
cutting out can be a function of many things: bandwidth, ISP, content
provider, software glitches (you'll likely be using flash) etc. My own
self-built media center is nowhere near the hardware capabilities of
your device but copes with streaming the iplayer content (not with
flash) well.

Reviews of the hardware+software combination are very good so I'd
encourage you to persevere before jumping for something else. If you
do decide to get rid of it (discounts for -user members?) ........ :)