Re: Advice needed re TV internet media machine.

On Sat, 5 Jul 2014 17:51:32 +0100
Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 05 July 2014 17:30:19 Joe wrote:
> > Joel mentioned the Raspberry Pi, which is a very low-power [ARM]
> > device, which does the UK catchup channels pretty well, apart from
> > the occasional glitch when a provider thoughtlessly changes his
> > protocol.
>
> Not for me it doesn't.  And I was told that I was asking too much of
> it.  I simply couldn't get it to stream.  It would start, and then
> the stream would cut out.  That was my first door-stop!

It Works For Me (tm).

I hesitate to mention it, but might there be any networking problems?
Ours was bought for my wife's TV viewing, and any more than occasional
misbehaviour would have resulted in serious earache for me. There were
one or two occasions when one channel just wouldn't work, but the other
channels were OK and it was clearly a server issue, the same program
was fine an hour or two later.

> I'll look at a Humax.

Not cheap, but my TV warrior wife loves it. I don't think it runs
Debian.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-DTR-T1000-YouView-Digital-Recorder/dp/B008J0QMYG

--
Joe