Re: virtual machine from USB stick (virt-manager & qemu/kvm)

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 01:19:06PM +0300, Eugene Zhukov wrote:
> > [Resending, as this doesn't seem to have made it to the list]
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:39:19AM +0300, Eugene Zhukov wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to create a VM with Windows 7. Is there a way to do that from USB stick? It is a ~10GB corporate Windows package.
> >
> > I presume the USB stick is your install medium? That is, you're not
> > trying to install TO the USB stick, but you're trying to install FROM
> > the USB stick TO a virtual machine on your hard drive.
> >
> Correct.
>
> > In that case, when creating your VM in Virtual-Manager, add your target
> > device as Disk 1, then also add a USB Host Device, selecting the USB
> > stick as your device. Now, boot the virtual machine and install as if on
> > a real machine (i.e. following the installer's manual).
> >
> I'm using Virtual Machine Manager 0.9.5. When I'm going through create
> new VM wizard it doesn't even have USB stick option, the only local
> options are CDROM, DVDROM or ISO image.

Yes, I think you need to complete the wizard first. Probably the
simplest way to do that is to tell it you want to install from a local
CD (With no disc in the drive) or a non-existent ISO. When you complete
the wizard, the new VM will start (to begin the installation), power it
off and re-configure it to add the USB host.