Re: virtual machine from USB stick (virt-manager & qemu/kvm)

[Resending, as this doesn't seem to have made it to the list]

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:39:19AM +0300, Eugene Zhukov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to create a VM with Windows 7. Is there a way to do that from USB stick? It is a ~10GB corporate Windows package.

I presume the USB stick is your install medium? That is, you're not
trying to install TO the USB stick, but you're trying to install FROM
the USB stick TO a virtual machine on your hard drive.

In that case, when creating your VM in Virtual-Manager, add your target
device as Disk 1, then also add a USB Host Device, selecting the USB
stick as your device. Now, boot the virtual machine and install as if on
a real machine (i.e. following the installer's manual).