Re: GTK crashing X?

On Mon 30 Jun 2014 at 13:12:01 -0700, Matt Ventura wrote:

> On 6/30/2014 10:43 AM, Brian wrote:
> >
> >6. Hopefully report success. :)
> >

> Nope, installed lightdm after doing a dist-upgrade and rebooting, still
> has the same issue. Starts X, displays a cursor for a couple seconds,
> then crashes and repeatedly tries to restart lightdm.
>
> I'm still wondering if it has something to do with the video card, since
> another issue is that when I dist-upgrade and it upgrades GRUB, it tries
> to do a graphical boot, but it gets the monitor refresh rate wrong and
> can't display the menu. I have to manually set it to a lower resolution
> (native is 1280x1024) to get it to work.

Could be hardware, I suppose. Switch to a tty with CTL-ALT-F1. Login as a
user and get the video card data from the command 'lspci'.

While you are out of X ALT-F2 gives you another console to log in as
root and remove lightdm with

   apt-get purge lightdm

Because I like to be tidy I'd now return the machine to a more or less
basic configuration

   apt-get purge fonts* x11-* dbus xfce4*

followed by

   apt-get --purge autoremove

Now

   apt-get install xorg fvwm

and, as a user

   startx

How does this go? If ok 'apt-get install xfce4' and 'startx'.