Re: OT: programming languages

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 12:40:28PM -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Joe wrote:
> >On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 15:46:58 +0100
> >Tom Furie <tom@furie.org.uk> wrote:

> >>However, there is a difference between discussing code in the context
> >>of a solution to a problem and discussing coding and langauges in
> >>general.
> >>
> >Indeed, but the name of the list is 'debian-user', not 'Debian': it's
> >about us, not about the OS. A subject is off-topic here if it is [likely
> >to be] of no concern to Debian users, not merely if it is not specific
> >to the Debian operating system.
> >
> >Debian users might well be interested in better ways to administer and
> >configure their Debian systems, even when such methods are not
> >applicable *only* to Debian.
> >

> So please... get of your high horse.
>
> Miles Fidelman

So, are we going to discuss languages? Or just discussion the relevance
of such discussion on the list?

Personally, I like tcl, bash, and ruby for scripting stuff (bash is a
no-brainer of course), although I've only started to play with ruby
recently.
I really have no perl fu at all.
A lot of stuff other folks do with perl, I end up doing with
bash/sed/awk.
I started playing with tcl about 7 or 8 years ago, and found it was
really easy to learn and make useful stuff with fairly quickly.
I don't understand why it isn't more popular (although it IS widely
used, just not sexy for the hipster kids, who apparently do like ruby,
and stuff like haskell, or whatever).

tony
--
http://www.myownsite.me