Re: Is grub perfect? (was Re: Does LXDE really require lightdm?)

On Mon 30 Jun 2014 at 16:06:32 +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 10:53:41AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the great suggestion. I had originally ruled out LILO (which
> > I used back in the 20th century) because it can't deal with EFI boot,
>
> No, but there's a ... I'm not sure if it's a fork of LILO or a totally
> separate project ... called ELILO that can be booted from EFI.

Should suit people who demand their software to be either abandoned or
unlikely to have any further development. The problem with it is that
its developer has a liking for the dark side.

  http://sourceforge.net/p/elilo/mailman/message/31524008/

   >Off-note: Is ELILO still under active development? Because there seems
   >to be no update after v3.16 which was released in March 2013 (8 months
   >ago). Even if it is no longer actively maintained, providing the
   >sources via GIT will allow contributors to fork the code and maintain
   >it in github/gitorious/bitbucket etc..
   Elilo is still actively maintained solely by me but no longer in active
   development. Elilo was designed in the early 2000's for EFI and Itanium,
   thats why it exists. As neither of those are very relevant any more It
   is legacy code at the end of its life cycle naturally. Im really not
   accepting new features or new feature requests. New releases are for
   major bug fixes for people that just cant live without elilo and
   thats about it and I have no bugs waiting to release.

   New bootloader efforts and contributions should rightfully go to Grub2.
   It is in active development, has many active contributors and is
   accepting new features and it supports UEFI and secure boot now and is
   finally fairly well positioned to fulfill its original intention of
   being the "GRand Unified Bootloader". It could be so if it supported
   network booting and really if elilo didnt exist anymore Im sure that
   somebody wouldve contributed the feature by now, most likely from a
   cloud team.