Re: Is grub perfect? (was Re: Does LXDE really require lightdm?)

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 09:33:57 +0900
Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 7:48 AM, [...]
> > Grub is a *boot loader*.
>
> Lately (last few years), it seems to be trying to do a lot more.
>
> > What do you expect it to do? Mind read?
>
> I'd almost say that's one of the things the devs are trying to make
> it do.

I have a feeling that a lot of this thread got procmailed to
my /dev/null, but for the person who asked what I wanted it to do,
that's simple: Boot the damn computer with a menu to choose predefined
kernel/initrd/disk combinations, and nothing else. And for gosh sakes,
keep it in one file. If a config option is about "pretty", leave that
feature out.

In other words, grub1.

SteveT