Re: Is grub perfect? (was Re: Does LXDE really require lightdm?)

Le 28.06.2014 05:14, slitt a écrit :
On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 09:33:57 +0900
Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 7:48 AM, [...]
> Grub is a *boot loader*.

Lately (last few years), it seems to be trying to do a lot more.

> What do you expect it to do? Mind read?

I'd almost say that's one of the things the devs are trying to make
it do.

I have a feeling that a lot of this thread got procmailed to
my /dev/null, but for the person who asked what I wanted it to do,
that's simple: Boot the damn computer with a menu to choose predefined kernel/initrd/disk combinations, and nothing else. And for gosh sakes,
keep it in one file. If a config option is about "pretty", leave that
feature out.

In other words, grub1.

SteveT

Otherwise, if you do not like grub, there are other boot loaders. LILO at least works fine, and seems to be ok for your requirements: a single easy text file as configuration. It's what I'm doing, excepted at work for 2 reasons: it does not seems to support the new crap named... how is it named? Secure boot? Something like that. The fun thing about that is that the grub installation did not allowed me to have a dual boot with the original windows, so I could be using LILO right now it would not change anything. The other reason is that I do prefer mainstream stuff on computers that I do not want to tinker. Never had any problem with LILO, but just in case...

I guess that there are other boot loaders (able to work on ext* file systems, of course) too around, but I do not know them.