Re: Is grub perfect? (was Re: Does LXDE really require lightdm?)

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 10:53:41AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 12:24:41 +0200
> berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
>

> > Otherwise, if you do not like grub, there are other boot loaders.
> > LILO at least works fine, and seems to be ok for your requirements: a
> > single easy text file as configuration.
> > It's what I'm doing, excepted at work for 2 reasons: it does not
> > seems to support the new crap named... how is it named? Secure boot?
> > Something like that. The fun thing about that is that the grub
> > installation did not allowed me to have a dual boot with the original
> > windows, so I could be using LILO right now it would not change
> > anything. The other reason is that I do prefer mainstream stuff on
> > computers that I do not want to tinker. Never had any problem with
> > LILO, but just in case...
>
> Thanks for the great suggestion. I had originally ruled out LILO (which
> I used back in the 20th century) because it can't deal with EFI boot,

No, but there's a ... I'm not sure if it's a fork of LILO or a totally
separate project ... called ELILO that can be booted from EFI.

> as I remember. But (let's all take some time to laugh), my boot disk is
> a 250 SSD with an MRB partition, so EFI (and secure boot) is a
> non-issue.

As I understand it, the ability for EFI to boot from an MBR is optional
(EFI + GPT is mandatory, but some firmwares allow EFI + MBR). YMMV.