Re: Is grub perfect? (was Re: Does LXDE really require lightdm?)

On Mon 30 Jun 2014 at 14:05:10 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Rusi Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I use the grub command configfile (also multiboot).
> > What do they do? Where are they documented?
> > [I got the tips on usage on the grub mailing list]
>
> I don't know whether configfile and multiboot are documented in the
> info pages (I find info unusable) but this is the upstream grub
> manual:

A few years ago the complaints about grub's documentation were possibly
justified. Today, less so, And even if there are improvements which can
made it is hardly a justification for the "bring back grub legacy and
give us abandoned software" faction to be considered at all seriously.

configfile is documented in the info pages. The multiboot command
replaces the kernel command; you're on your own with that!

> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/index.html
>
> I've just looked at the debian wiki's documentation and it's
> surpringly sparse; unless I landed on the wrong page.
>
> ubuntuforums.org has a very good documentation thread/sticky and the
> arch and gentoo wikis have good documentation.

Regretably so. But all three *are* wikis.