Re: Is grub perfect? (was Re: Does LXDE really require lightdm?)

On Saturday 28 June 2014 05.55:39 Rusi Mody wrote:
> PS. No I am not defending grub2 -- I find its documentation almost
> non-existent -- just my survival strategies :-)

Yes, this is one problem. There are others:

- what documentation is existent is not easy to undestand, syntax is
complicated. Trial and error is not good when you're playing with your boot
manager.

- Grub ('s developpers) is patronizing: why make it so difficult to install on
a partition? To tell you it's not reliable is one thing, to try and forbid it
is another.

- Assuming that UUIDs are "better" is just one way to look at it. That's right
for people who add disks to a computer.  Clone  a disk and you'll be happy
you used labels

While I do see the power of Grub 2, I too wish we could go back to the
efficience and simplicity of Grub 1.

And I don't know if this is Grub or the distribution, but I've regularely
experienced "MS-like" behaviour: you tell the installer to put Grub on the
root partition, but it does install on your MBR.

Thierry