Re: Progress on my new Debian box

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 16:59:04 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> 3 years later I bought an IBM Deskstar drive with 6 times the
> capacity for $300.00 :-)

These aren't even SATA but IDE; but they're on old machines
that give satisfaction for what they're used: storing CAD
drawings updated very often and are backed up when needed.
So I don't really need extra space (except if I become very
lazy and let the HDz get bloated:)

In production world, you avoid touching what's working right
until it really breaks (remember that PCI bus superseded the
ISA bus only a fistful of years ago).

I understand your way (especially the HD's one AT THE TIME YOU
DESCRIBE), but today I don't wanna fall in consumerism.
For large calculations, I use big juicy multi-core/CPU machines
with several TB of RAM, but for my every day reporting or stuffs
like that, a 12 years machine mono-CPU & 1.5GB RAM is far enough…

--
<Hyke> What did you do for woman's day?
<Phil> I left her out