Progress on my new Debian box

Hi all,

I've got the hardware all set up. AMD dual core 4100, 16GB RAM, 240GB
SSD for /, 750GB Western Digital Black for /var, /tmp, /run, and swap
partition, and a 3GB Western Digital Green for all my data.

I installed Debian Wheezy 7.5 network install with "nonfree yes", and
xxxterm (soon to be called xombrero) plays Youtube videos perfectly.
Xfce right now, dwm later. I have UMENU and VimOutliner working
perfectly. Gnumeric and LyX are installed, although I haven't tested
them extensively.

The biggest problem I'm having right now is email. I set up a
preliminary Dovecot on the Debian machine. For some reason, the only
way to get the dovecot executable on Wheezy is to follow these
instructions on adding to your sources list:

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/DebianStable

Then, so far, I can't access my new dovecot from my Debian machine,
although I can access it over the wire from my Ubuntu machine.
Thickening the plot even more is that nmap 192.168.100.4 from
192.168.100.4 won't read any open ports, even though the same command
issued from 192.168.100.2 shows 22, 80, 111, 143 and 993 open. I
suspect some sort of firewall issue, although at present I don't know
enough to prove or disprove that.

Anyway, things are going well. My other observation is that Debian is
less like Ubuntu than it initially looks.

SteveT