Re: Progress on my new Debian box

On 24/06/2014 3:16 AM, Bzzzz wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 12:43:19 -0400
> Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>
>> I've got the hardware all set up. AMD dual core 4100, 16GB RAM,
>> 240GB SSD for /, 750GB Western Digital Black for /var, /tmp, /run,
>> and swap partition,
>
> As a SSD has limited write capacities, people usually avoid
> using  it for things that are often (re)written.
> Unfortunately, you just indicate _all_ wrong directories to
> store on a SSD…

I believe that would be true of quite /old/ SSD drives, but definitely
not for newer ones.  The new drives are subject to write issues, but to
hit that problem will take just as long as a traditional spinning drive
-- they too have limits, spinning drives are mechanical.

There have been very heavy torture tests on thew newer range of SSDs and
they are performing exceptionally well with mega data being written [1],
up to fairly heavy data usage levels.

There is apparently a way to restore SSD drives to original condition by
super heating the layer that breaks down (due to writes), targeting the
exact spot with the right temperature returns the SSD drive to brand new
state.  Not sure when this newest generation will hit the market though. [2]

[1]
http://www.pcper.com/news/Storage/continuing-Tech-Report-SSD-torture-test

[2] http://www.tomshardware.com/news/flash-nand-dead-heat-heals,19491.html

Cheers