Re: Progress on my new Debian box

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 21:27:59 +0200
Bzzzz <lazyvirus@gmx.com> wrote:

> May be, but most of my disks have a ≥ 10 years life (24/7) with
> a very few errors (only 2 of 45 have 1 & 3 unrecoverable sectors),
> so, if you can prove me SSD is as good as these, why not…

My question is this: Would a ten year old disk be worth the SATA port
it consumes? Would it be worth its power demands and heating? Ten years
ago, 500GB was a Big Friggin Deal (tm). Today, any fool can go to any
store and get a 4TB drive for less than $200. If you do stuff that
requires disk space, keeping an old drive alive becomes moot after a
certain amount of time. I have all sorts of <100GB drives from ten
years ago: I just take them out to the driveway and do my 20oz hammer
based data wipe.

Here's a related true story. Reading the newspaper in 1994, I saw
Egghead Software was selling a 1000MB drive for $799.00. I figured such
a great price for such amazing technology must be a misprint, but
called them anyway. Yes, they were selling 1000MB for $799.00. I made
them promise to hold one for an hour, RAN to my car, broke every speed
law getting to Egghead, walked in, outwardly casually and inwardly
figuring this can't be true, asked for the drive, handed them my credit
card, and got charged $799.00. Still figuring there'd been a mistake
and I'd be arrested for shoplifting on the way out, I ambled out, got
in my car, carefully drove 2 blocks away, stopped the car, and did a
victory dance.

3 years later I bought an IBM Deskstar drive with 6 times the capacity
for $300.00 :-)

SteveT